“Moon Festival Wishes” is a 2-in-1 story. The first part of the book shows how people celebrate Moon Festival. The second part of the book is the story of the Moon Festival, which explains why Moon Festival is being celebrated.
Book Title: Moon Festival Wishes
Author: Jillian Lin
Central Topic/Theme: Moon Festival
Mei showed how they prepare for and celebrate Moon Festival. They clean and decorate their house by hanging a picture of a moon on the wall. She makes a paper lantern while her grandmother makes a yummy mooncake. They visit the temple. At night, their family eats dinner together and they pray to the Goddess of the Moon.
Questions to ask
- What is the name of the girl in the story?
- How did they celebrate Moon Festival?
- Why do they celebrate Moon Festival?
- What food do they prepare during the Moon Festival? Why?
- Have you tasted a mooncake before? What flavor did you try? Did you like its taste? Why or why not?
- Mooncake Tasting. Bring/buy a mooncake with different flavors and let your child taste them. Let him/her describe the taste of the mooncake.
- Paper Lantern Making. Create a paper lantern. Watch the instruction in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zccdw8eN6G0.
- Rabbit Art and Craft. Create a rabbit art and craft with your child.