“Round is a Mooncake” is a book that shows a bit of Chinese culture while at the same time introducing shapes to the young learners.
Book Title: Round is a Mooncake
Author: Roseanne Thong
Central Topic/Theme: Chinese culture/Shapes
This book shows the basic shapes and at the same time introduces a bit of the Chinese culture.
Questions to ask
- What are the different shapes found in the book?
- What “round” objects are shown in the book?
- What “round” objects do you see from your surrounding? (change round to “square”, “rectangle”)
- “Mooncake” is a famous food eaten by Chinese. Have you seen/tasted a mooncake before?
- Which country does the Chinese come from?
- Mooncake Tasting. Bring mooncake with various flavours and let the children taste them.
- Shape Collage. Allow children to create a collage using shapes.
- Exploring a map. Let the children explore the map and find (the country) China.