“When the Anger Ogre visits” is a good storybook to read for emotions. It shows young children how to calm down when they are in a frenzy.
Book Title: When the Anger Ogre visits
Author: Andree Salom
Central Topic/Theme: Emotions
Anger Ogre calms down after his friends invite him for a tea to breath slowly and deeply and relax.
Questions to ask
- Why is Anger Ogre called “anger Ogre”?
- What did he do to deal with his anger?
- When are you angry?
- What do you do when you are angry?
- What healthy way can you try next time when you are angry?
- Draw your emotions. Ask the children “How are you?” Let them answer this question by illustrating their emotions.
- Sing the song “If You’re Happy and You Know It”. Teach children the action for the song “If You’re Happy and You Know It”, and then, sing together and do the actions at the same time.
- Do breathing exercises. Play a slow music and allow the children to breath in and breath out. They may also close their eyes if they are comfortable.