“The Color Monster” is a story about different emotions such as happiness, sadness, anger, fear, and calm. This is a good story to make children talk about their feelings.
Book Title: The Color Monster
Author/Illustrator: Anna Llenas
Central Topic/Theme: colors, emotions
The Color Monster woke up with mixed emotions. The girl advised him to put each of his emotion in a jar. Each emotion is represented by a color. At the end of the day, the Color Monster felt calm and peaceful.
Questions to ask
- What are the emotions that the Color Monster have?
- What emotions do you have right now?
- What do you do when you are happy? When you are sad? etc
- Make a craft for different emotions using a paper plate.
- Sing the song “If you’re happy and you know it”.
- Play a variation of the game “Simon Says”. When you say “happy”, the child should do an action that she does when she is happy. Same for sad, angry and other emotions.