Our topic for this term is “Rain”. One of our activities include making a rainstick using recycled materials.
The materials needed are the following:
- tissue roll
- clear plastic bag
- rubber band
- paper cut outs (coloured paper, magazines, newspaper, etc)
- aluminum foil
- rice, macaroni and/or beans
Here is how to create your DIY rainstick:
- Decorate the outside part of the tissue roll. My K1 children used decoupage as an art technique to beautify their rainstick.
- Roll and twirl the aluminom foil and put it inside the tissue roll to make the beans/rice/macaroni twirl slowly.
- Cover tissue role’s one hole with clear plastic and rubber band.
- Put the sound source or sound maker inside. Do you want rice? Beans? Macaroni? Or combination?
- Cover the other hole… and there you have it! Your very own rainstick!
Creating a rainstick is a good activity for Music lesson or when your topic is about rain or saving the earth.
Have fun! 😉